Sponsored Links
-->

Kamis, 12 Juli 2018

Ab-Soul: 'It's A Lot' : Microphone Check : NPR
src: media.npr.org

Herbert Anthony Stevens IV (born 23 February 1987), better known by his stage name Ab-Soul , is an American hip hop recording artist from Carson, California. In 2007, he signed a contract with Top Dawg Entertainment indie label (TDE), where he eventually formed hip hop supergroup Black Hippy, along with his co-label and fellow California rapper Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q. He was probably famous for introspective lyrics and four independent albums under EFT, Longterm mentality , Control System , These Days... , and Do What You Release. , all of which were released to positive reviews and commercial success.


Video Ab-Soul



Kehidupan awal

Herbert Anthony Stevens IV was born on February 23, 1987, in Los Angeles, California. Stevens spent the first four years of his life in Germany while his father was in the military, until his parents separated and he and his mother later moved back to the United States to live in his grandmother's home in Carson, California. He once remembered the age of five: "I seriously play video and basketball, at five o'clock, but the video game will be... Five... What is it, Nintendo? Sega Sonic the Hedgehog Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on TV But I know from the beginning , I'm very, very fond of Michael Jackson, as we all do. "Newborns love Michael Jackson."

At the age of 10, Stevens contracted Stevens-Johnson syndrome, which caused him to be hospitalized and was the origin of dark lips and his light-sensitive eyes: "At the age of ten, I was very sick, it was a very sunny day. a rare thing called Steven-Johnson Syndrome, and that's so life-changing I'm blocking my skin's vision and configuration.This really makes me lose my dream.I try to keep playing with my nuance, it's really funny when I thinking about it now.Many of my friends are really cool about it.They will not make me feel different or something like that, but I'm only good of the figure... I will not have that sharp vision for that. "However, on In his teenage years, Stevens was very upset about his condition: "When I was sick when I was younger of course it affected my lips skin, so when I entered school I had a lips that the at dark and my eyes are low. to wear shades and dirt. So I'm pretty weird. People bothered me about my lips, and said I looked tall. I did not even start smoking until after I graduated from high school. "

Stevens experienced music at a very young age, as his family owned a record store. Stevens also began to craft his rap skills at an early age: "I'm in the BlackPlanet freestyle chat, knocking my ass.Battle battle.This is a very interesting world.I think it still exists online, where you are freestyle but you type it They call it keystyle I think it is where I am developing my rhyming skills I have knocked early, maybe about 12 [years], but when I jump online and into that culture, textcee culture I will become a rapper. "

Stevens claimed to have written his first verse when he was 12 years old, with the tap of "Emotion" Twista: "I like, I can do this, I'll try it And I write it It's a day I remember clearly From that moment I have a passion very big to the whole craft.Being a fan of words and making real connections with them.said things that can make your eyes open.I can say something and I can change heads. "Rapping continues as a hobby for Stevens, whose parents "see a bright future, type of lecture" for her and enroll her in an advanced class.

It was not until Stevens graduated from high school that he started seriously in his musical career: "I just want to be tight with [rap me] but I am getting attracted to it.Not until after I graduate from high school and into a community college that I realize I want to be rapper full time, I might do the same thing with half a semester, in my presence.I tried a semester and came out and then I tried the next semester and got out so it did not work. "

Maps Ab-Soul



Musical career

2002-10: Early career and entry into EFT

In 2002, Stevens recorded his first song. In 2005, he signed a recording contract with StreetBeat Entertainment, but only a year later, in 2006, he met Punch, President and Chairman of Carson's indie label Top Dawg Entertainment (TDE), which, as Stevens says, "sees more in his music rather than metaphor and punchline ":" Once I graduated from high school I signed an independent contract with a small label called StreetBeat Entertainment, taking it as a learning experience, but during that time I started working with EFT, so soon after, I built a relationship with EFT and became a member of that family. "Before applying to EFT, Stevens was part of a rap group called Area 51, with Brooklyn-native and fellow American rapper Snake Hollywood.

In 2007, Stevens officially became part of Dawg Top's list, which has raised rapper rivals Jay Rock and K-Dot (now known as Kendrick Lamar). Stevens declared the book The Autobiography of Malcolm X (1964) as one of the truly enlightening texts he said: "It only teaches me a lot about people, religion, society, possibilities in society, success, and things like that, from there, I've just been very conscientious about many of the main political figures or religious figures we have and I'm always watching him.That may seem transparent, but ultimately it's important to [draw your own conclusions]. "

In 2008, Stevens made a brief cameo appearance in the music video for his maiden debut TDE-mate Jay Rock, "All My Life (In the Ghetto)". Also in 2008, he began recording music for his debut mixtape, on TDE Recording Studio: House of Pain. In December 2008, Stevens released his first music video, for a song from mixtape, entitled "A Day in the Life", via YouTube. The mixtape, titled Longterm , was released in January 2009. This is the first in the series, which Stevens claims will have four installments: "When I did the first Longterm I know that there will be four of them.When I do the first, so there will be four of them: Longterm 1, 2, 3, and 4 So now we are in two.You have to wait for the next one. for the next Ab-Soul interview. ".

In 2009, he formed the Black Hippy supergroup, with his frequent collaborators and TDE label friends, Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock and K-Dot. Stevens released his second mixtape, and his first sequel, on June 28, 2010. The tape, entitled Longterm 2: The Broke Lifestyle and Almost Famous was highly acclaimed and featured Stevens singing in several songs.

2011-12: Long Term Mentality and Control System

In February 2011, Ab-Soul revealed that he was working on an album titled Longterm Mentality , and then released "Hell Yeah", a song featuring Schoolboy Q. On February 22, 2011, Stevens released a promotional tape others taken. from the album, "Moscato", a collaboration with fellow Black Hippy, Kendrick Lamar. In February 2011, Stevens also embarked on a "Road to Paid Dues" concert tour, after being listed by fellow American rapper Murs.

On March 21, 2011 Stevens released a music video for the song titled "Nothin 'New", in a promotion for the album. On March 25, he released "Gone Insane", the fourth release song taken from the album. On March 30, a trailer for Longterm Mentality , was released via Top Dawg Entertainment. On April 1, 2011 he released a music video for "Gone Insane", directed by Top Dawg directors Fredo Tovar and Scott Fleishman.

Stevens has declared the independent album of each of his colleagues partly inspired material on Longterm mentality: "I compare the [process behind] Long Term mentality to the process with all my Kendrick Joints OD has been out and Q's Setback has come out I have these bodies working as a reference, as an inspiration I heard what Kendrick was talking about, I heard what being discussed by Q, I heard what Jay Rock was talking about So how would I arrange this together and add my own two cents as well? How do I continue the voice but have my individuality as an artist? It's the same challenge every time. "Stevens released their first independent album, under Top Dawg Entertainment, exclusively through iTunes on April 5, 2011. The album then reached # 73 on Top R & amp; B/Hip-Hop AS. This album, although the title is Longterm mentality , not the third part of the Longterm series.

Soon after the release of the second independent album Schoolboy Q, Habit & amp; Contradictions (2012), Stevens began promoting his second independent album, releasing a song entitled "Black Lip Bastard", on January 17, 2012. The song was produced by in-house TDE in-house producer Willie B. On February 28, 2012, Ab-Soul, alongside Schoolboy Q, appeared on the #SwayInTheMorning Sway Calloway radio show, where Ab-Soul was called "Black Lip Bastard": "pretty much one of the song titles." The first song to appear on the album, to be released is " Showin 'Love ", which is also produced by Willie B.

On March 24th, Schoolboy Q announced #TheGroovyTour; a month-long tour with Ab-Soul accompanying him along the way. The tour starts on April 20th, at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, California. On April 6, 2012, Ab-Soul released a song entitled "Terrorist Threat". The song features collaborators often JhenÃÆ' Â © Aiko and fellow American rapper Danny Brown, who stated on Twitter that "Black Hippy the New Beatles and I Harry Nilsson". On April 17, 2012, Ab-Soul revealed the album title to Control System and launched the release date to May 11, 2012. On the same day, he also released a music video for "Pineal Gland", a song that inspired by the psychedelic DMT drug and of course the pineal gland, the small endocrine gland in the vertebrate brain. On April 24, 2012, Stevens released another song, "SOPA". Songs produced by Nez & amp; Rio, referring to the SOPA, the US bill introduced by US Representative Lamar S. Smith, which will allow the US government to control the Internet.

On May 1, 2012, Ab-Soul released another music video, for a new song titled "Empathy", this song featuring vocals from Stevens' old boyfriend, Alori Joh (December 16, 1986 - February 6, 2012), who had committed suicide earlier on February. Joh's death had a major impact on Stevens and the process of recording Control Systems . On May 4, 2012, "Black Lip Bastard" was revealed and will feature his Black Hippy cohorts, Rock, Lamar and Schoolboy Q. On May 8, 2012, his collaboration with Lamar, titled "ILLuminate", was released. The day before the release of Ab-Soul's album revealed a list of songs and footage released from the album. The album, as it is written on the back cover, is "Dedicated to the beautiful soul of Loriana Angel Johnson aka Alori Joh".

Control System was released exclusively through iTunes on May 11, 2012, under Top Dawg Entertainment. The album sold around 5,300 units in a short week, debuting at number 83 on Billboards 200 and appearing on some other Billboard charts as well. The album sold around 3,700 next week. During 2012, Stevens toured with other Black Hippy members and fellow American rapper Stalley on BERS's Matters Music Tour.

At the end of 2012, Stevens is featured on Joe Budden's mixtape A Loose Quarter on the "Cut From a Different Cloth" track. The song received praise as one of the best songs on the project. Budden has since announced that he and Ab-Soul have recorded many songs together that will see the light of the day in the near future. Budden went on to praise Ab-Soul as "one of the best things going on in hip hop now".

2012-present : These days... and Do What You Teach.

In October 2012, American singer-songwriter and record producer JMSN, who previously produced "Nibiru" for Stevens in August, for what the label calls "TDE Fan Appreciation Week", announces he and Stevens will be releasing a collaborative project together. The main single for their collaborative album, set to be titled Unit 6 , is officially released via iTunes on January 22, 2013. The single, titled "You're Gone", features vocals from both. artist, and production of JMSN. On March 26, 2013, it was announced that Ab-Soul will be featured on the 2013 Freshman Class edition of XXL ', alongside Schoolboy Q and other novice rappers.

On August 6, 2013, after nearly four months of absence, Stevens released a new song produced by Willie B, entitled "Christopher DRONEr", referring to former LAPD police officer Christopher Dorner. Along with the song, he announced he was working on a new solo project. The next day he will talk to XXL and says that he and JMSN have completed the album Unit 6 , but their management can not "see eye to eye", so the project is finally shelved for possibly a later release, with Stevens saying: "It sounds like a prequel to my album." He went on to confirm that JMSN and Jhene Aiko, will appear on the upcoming solo project. On October 17, 2013, Stevens stated that he had almost completed the project. Later that week, he confirmed that the project had been turned on to mix and clean up the rumor titled Black Lip Pastor. With the release of the 56th Grammy Awards nomination, it was revealed that Stevens was nominated for Album of the Year for his participation in Macklemore & amp; Ryan Lewis debut album, The Heist .

On 2 January 2014, Stevens revealed that he had submitted two projects to his label, Top Dawg, before 2013, ending: "I submitted 2 projects last year, yes I know what your thinking is, let's see where this year I am... "He tweeted. On 6 January 2014, in an interview with Bootleg Kev, while speaking on Stevens's album stated: "Ali is mixing it up now," and that they are waiting for the perfect way to present the project, as a result of a creative release like Nipsey Hussle's < Crenshaw . He also revealed this album about the developments and confirmed there will be performances from his EFT label-co-workers, as well as the production of hip hop producer Statik Selektah. On April 11, 2014, Stevens announced that he is also working on the third installment in the Longterm series.

On May 5, 2014, Stevens took to Twitter to announce his third album will be titled These Days... . On May 30, 2014, Top Dawg's management took to Twitter to reveal These Days... , scheduled for a June 24 release date. On the same day, EFT management also launched cover art for the album and released a footage of the music video for Stevens 'Stigmata'. On June 21, 2014, Stevens released a music video for a song titled "Closing", taken from These Days... . The album debuted at number 11 on the US Billboard 200 chart, with sales the first week of 21,812 copies in the United States and has received generally positive reviews from music critics.

In October 2014, in an interview with Montreality, Stevens revealed the title for the retail project in his first shop is Longterm 3 . In February 2015, Ab-Soul aired the song "47 Bar" online, produced by The Alchemist. In July 2015, Stevens tweeted that the next album was "nearing completion." In July 2015, Stevens gave an update on the album: "My album is almost done..." he wrote on Twitter, adding, "This is a love story". He completed the post with the hashtag "DWTW", probably the title of the acronym album he mentioned.

On June 8, 2016, via Twitter, Stevens revealed that he has finished his upcoming album and changed it for mixing. The album, titled Do What Thou Wilt. , released December 9, 2016.

Ab-Soul Breaks Down the Inspirations & Revelations Behind 'Do What ...
src: www.billboard.com


Arts

Influences

Ab-Soul quoted fellow American rapper Twista, Canibus, Eminem, Nas and Lupe Fiasco as main influences, with Jay Z becoming his biggest influence. He stated: "There are so many others, but they are the ones that come to my mind right now.Are artists are basically templates for my format as MC.they all catch me with their music, whether it is vibration, rhythm, story, or just the lyrics in general. "

Ab-Soul: The Unreleased Singles - YouTube
src: i.ytimg.com


Discography

  • Long Term Mentality (2011)
  • Control System (2012)
  • These Days... (2014)
  • Do What You Want. (2016)

Video: Ab-Soul - Pineal Gland (In Studio) - Rap Dose
src: rapdose.com


Concert tour

  • Today Tour (2014)
  • YMF Tour (2017)

Ab-Soul and Princess Nokia Go Deep on Femininity in Hip Hop - Galore
src: galoremag.com


See also

  • List of hip-hop musicians
  • List of people from California
  • California Music

Ab-Soul - Pass The Blunt (feat. ScHoolboy Q) - YouTube
src: i.ytimg.com


References


Album Reviews: Ab-Soul, Hodgy, and Neil Young
src: www.brooklynvegan.com


External links

  • Ab-Soul on Twitter
  • Ab-Soul on AllMusic

Source of the article : Wikipedia

Comments
0 Comments